The Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations (OCED) was recently established with over $30 billion in funding to deliver clean energy demonstration projects in partnership with the private sector to launch/accelerate market adoption/deployment of technologies as part of equitable transition to a decarbonized energy system.
OCED is hiring a senior executive to identify and oversee implementation of about $7 billion in federal funding for projects in three areas -- carbon capture demonstrations, direct air capture, and carbon pilots.
The Department of Energy's (DOE) Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations is looking for a dynamic, innovative, seasoned executive to serve in a leadership role within the Project Management Division to lead the Carbon Capture and Removal Team. Specifically, you will:
- Lead and coordinate Project Management efforts with public and private stakeholders.
- Provide advice and support to senior OCED and DOE leaders on Project Management initiatives. Initiate programs and/or projects, conduct evaluation studies, and recommend new policies and programs for improving OCED Project Management capabilities.
- Ensure early identification and mitigation of cost, schedule, and/or technology risks and challenges; support on-site monitoring of projects; ensure independent project reviews, peer reviews, technical independent project reviews are performed and adjustments made to projects based on those reviews to improve project performance; and incorporate lessons learned from other projects into the planning and execution of Team activities.
- Oversee the full range of operational functions, direct organizational activities and frame strategic plans based on broad organizational assessments and evaluations of long-term organizational objectives.
- Oversee and direct the internal organization, staffing, policies, and personnel authorities required to carry out the responsibilities of the organization. Provide technical and administrative supervision over subordinate organizations. Provide leadership to promote the efficient management of Team resources and assets. Assure the effective management of Team programs, activities, and resources by developing, implementing, and monitoring DOE and OCED policies and systems for the full range of Team programs.
- Oversee development of new or modified work methods, organizational structures, and specific supplemental guidelines.
- Represent DOE leadership and senior OCED leadership as a senior agency official in meetings with industry, universities, national laboratories, and representatives of domestic and foreign governments concerning Project Management programs that impact the programs overseen and negotiates arrangements pertaining to program logistics, pace, reporting, and funding.
- Provide leadership in dealing with high level officials within and outside Federal Government, state and local government, and representing the organization to Congress, other departments and agencies, industry leaders, and senior executive advisory panels.
- Assist Department efforts to strengthen energy sector security and resilience against current and emerging threats and to enhance response and recovery including shared situational awareness.
- Perform special complex and ambiguous assignments as requested by senior OCED leadership.
- May serve as the alter ego for the Deputy Director of Project Management, if the position is vacant, and serve as the acting Deputy Director, if designated.
- Promote Diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and ensure full implementation of the Diversity, EEO and Affirmative Employment Program Plan.