The incumbent serves as Executive Officer with responsibility for all aspects of the Governing Board's administrative operations. As a senior leader and management team member, the Executive Officer leads a broad range of responsibilities essential to managing and directing the operational functions of the Governing Board and ensuring efficient use of agency resources.
Responsibilities are undertaken pursuant to authorities delegated to the Governing Board and its Executive Director in a Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Education as well as the bylaws of the Governing Board. Operational and functional areas of work include contracts and budget planning and execution, financial management, information technology assistance for users, internal controls, travel management, human resources, records management, conference spending, and staff supervision. The position requires strong organizational planning skills with program management expertise to assure timely execution of priorities in operational areas.
The Executive Officer reports to the Executive Director of the Governing Board.
APPLICATION LIMIT: This vacancy announcement is limited to the first 75 applications received and will close at 11:59PM Eastern Time on the day that we receive the 75th application, or at 11:59PM Eastern Time on the listed closing date, whichever occurs first.
We encourage you to read this entire vacancy announcement prior to submitting your application.
As the Executive Officer, GS-0301-15, you will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provide leadership and management of administrative and functional areas in accordance with the Governing Board’s Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Education, Governing Board bylaws, Federal laws and regulations, federal records, Department of Education policies, procedures and administrative directives.
• Responsible for the overall formulation, presentation, justification, and execution of the Governing Board's Salary and Expense (S&E) funds and executes a program budget of approximately $8 million per year. Serve as Principal Contracting Officer for small purchases, and contracts for support services and equipment. Provide direction and oversees the development and execution of Annual Acquisition Plans.
• Oversee staffing needs, develop workforce planning strategies, and manage all aspects of personnel management to include personnel needs for onboarding new members, approving offboarding actions, and undertaking a range of personnel actions for staff (GS Level and Administratively Determined positions).
• Provide oversight in execution of work for the Quarterly Board Meetings and other meetings and approve all conference spending and reporting to ED for OMB (Office of Management and Budget) reporting. Serve as the Designated Federal Official for posting Federal Register Notices for quarterly Governing Board meetings and other meetings.
• Oversee resource allocation and provide oversight for Information Technology services; respond to data calls made via ED offices to meet federal compliance in areas of administrative operations to assure effectiveness, efficiency and productivity.