This position serves as an Associate Director in the Market Review Branch (MRB) under The Division of Market Oversight (DMO), is responsible for the regulation and oversight of the commodity futures, options on futures, and swaps marketplaces. The Market Review Branch is responsible for reviewing applications for contract market designation (DCM) and swap execution facility (SEF) registration to ensure compliance with statutory core principles, and the Commission’s regulations and policies.
The Associate Director provides oversight of the work of Market Review attorneys performing the following duties:
- Leads interdivisional teams in the review of DCM designation applications and SEF registration applications;
- Contributes to the development of, and support to the Deputy Director’s efforts to conduct a program to identify, plan, and solve legal and policy issues and problems related to the CFTC's oversight program for DCMs and SEFs;
- Analyzes requests for approval of rules and rule certification filings to ensure conformance with the Act, Commission policies, and regulations. Such filings include off centralized-market trading procedures such as block trading, exchange governance and organization, international and domestic exchange linkages, market maker programs, and rules which relate to or restrict membership and access to exchanges;
- Coordinates the team's review of trading facility rules with the Compliance Branch in that section's performance of rule enforcement reviews;
- Maintains currency of the CFTC's rules and policies by keeping abreast of changes in applicable law and developments in the derivatives industry;
- In coordination with DMO leadership, develops and prepares regulations, acceptable practices, no-action letters, policy statements and interpretations to implement the CEA or to adopt specific procedures or rules to accommodate innovations in derivatives trading;
- Assures that the team's contacts with other offices in the Commission, other government agencies, Congress, the industry, and other interested parties are coordinated effectively with respect to day-to-day operations of the Branch and with respect to statutory requirements and official policies;
- Serves as principal advisor in providing opinions, testimony, and evidence on trading facility rules in connection with hearings and legal briefs required by the Division of Enforcement or the Office of General Counsel; and
- Responsible for the implementation and oversight of CFTC regulations governing foreign boards of trade (FBOTs), including but not limited to managing the registration process for FBOTs and the review of regulatory filings submitted by FBOTs; and
- Conducts special studies as it relates to the Branch's substantive areas of concern.
***The Supervisory Attorney Advisor position demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development and modeling inclusive behaviors. The Supervisory Attorney Advisor will be expected to support CFTC leadership in promoting a culture of inclusivity and belonging that embraces the contributions of all team members***